.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

My life as a Wayland
Intoxication not advised

Monday, December 06, 2004

Murphy was an optimist...

Hello all...I promised I would blog today and I couldn't think of anything to blog about so I slapped something together...enjoy!

MURPHY'S LAWS

  1. Nothing is as easy as it looks.
  2. Everything takes longer than you think.
  3. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
  4. If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong. Corollary: If there is a worse time for something to go wrong, it will happen then.
  5. If anything simply cannot go wrong, it will anyway.
  6. If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which a procedure can go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way, unprepared for, will promptly develop.
  7. Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.
  8. If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
  9. Nature always sides with the hidden flaw.
  10. Mother nature is a bitch.
  11. It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
  12. Whenever you set out to do something, something else must be done first.
  13. Every solution breeds new problems.

For more of this, go to http://dmawww.epfl.ch/roso.mosaic/dm/murphy.html

Well on the whole I think these laws are very true...even though that may be because we tend not to notice the good things that happen, only the bad things.

Well I've also been reading this short timeline of the universe and sorting out what the heck relativity is all about...it's really interesting1 I heartily recommend it!

Oh, and congratulations to Margaret for guessing the last Quotemania, and also congrats to Saman for no particular reason than that I felt like congratulating him!

To be continued...

Don't worry, I'm wearing my lucky rabbit's head.

4 Comments:

  • You're making me think too much again Wayland. But ah well I read it and um...as I see it there's two possible explanations about Murphy.

    1. he actually means what he says in which case he's a real bastard who can't just be happy with things. I mean yes ok bad things happen but geez wouldn't life be a bitch if you kept thinking oh something bad will happen just cos bad things always happen? What about good things happening?? What happened eh Murphy? You forgot to stop it happening did ya?
    2. he's being sarcastic in which case he's pretty funny but majorly in need of new pursuits. I bet Murphy thought he was a real clever fellow comming up with his own "laws"...

    Alright alright I'll stop bagging Murphy but I dunno...not in a good mood for pessimistic philosophy.

    Counter-ranted by Blogger JingleBells at Tuesday, December 07, 2004 12:15:00 am  

  • I'm going to be original and make a short comment. I think Murphy was one cool dude. I guess he looked on the dark side of life everytime, but its soooo true! Like when you want something done quickly, it will always take forever. I think Unseen Uni has even come up with a formula to prove this...
    Oh! Hehe! The title for your last blog reminded me of Iron Chef. Its a current (mmm.... currents) obsession for me. Go watch it everyone! (SBS 8.30 Saturdays). Its followed by Fashionista. also worth watching because Lee Lin Chin is always in funny clothes and hair. Oh and the fashion. Of course.
    Argh, this comment has turned out a lot longer than I expected... Hmm... methinks me needs to curb mine verbal diahorrea.

    Counter-ranted by Blogger Unknown at Tuesday, December 07, 2004 7:31:00 am  

  • Apparently, Murphy only ever came up with one 'law' and it was something along the lines of, "If something bad can happen, it will". Then a whole bunch of other things started getting attributed to him, even though they were said by other people. Poor guy, they're blaming him for other people's pessimism. Well, that was one bad thing that could happen to him, and it did. Still, I'd like to be remembered for being really negative.

    I think the quote is said by Lisa to Bart in the episode where they're both in opposing hockey teams. Though it might have been Bart saying it to Lisa, though it was his bunny, wasn't it? He rips the head off to try and make Lisa upset, but she says that it was his childhood toy.

    Your posts remind me of episodes of Samurai Champloo, because every episode ends with つづく(Japanese for 'to be continued'). And they have another thing in common, they're both interesting. So keep continuing!

    Counter-ranted by Blogger Fodder at Tuesday, December 07, 2004 10:30:00 am  

  • ohhhhh....u disappointed me!!!...i was hoping this post would be a philosophical one on barbie :) but instead it has to be on some boring laws hehehe. well hopefully the next one will be on barbie or if not, the one after that etc...i just have to keep waiting. is this how u make ur readers read ur blog all the time, by keeping them in suspense, by making them regularly check ur posts to make sure it's on the topic they like? :P

    oh, i know the quote, it's from bart :)....2 in a row by bart? maybe not...oh well

    Princess

    Counter-ranted by Anonymous Anonymous at Wednesday, December 08, 2004 2:35:00 am  

Counter-rant

<< Home