.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

My life as a Wayland
Intoxication not advised

Monday, June 13, 2005

The decline of television

Watching TV nowadays, there is one vital question I must ask myself. Where have all the quality comedy writers gone these days? It seems as if there isn't one decent comedy showing on TV any more. It's all drama this and reality that. Gone are such golden shows such as Seinfeld, The Simpsons (I know this is still showing, but honestly the new shows aren't very funny) and even the local gems such as Full Frontal. Now there have been some fair efforts made in recent times, Friends, Malcolm in the Middle come to mind...but they have not had the impact that the older shows have had. I admit I'm quite a fan of the show Comedy Inc., but even this show seems to have gone sour in its latest season. They're chuckle worthy...but I don't hear anyone talking about how good shows they were. Same with other comedy ventures like skitHouse and Big Bite and Seven's latest flop Let Loose [Live], which were atrocious to say the least.

I realise that I haven't seen all the shows America, the British or Australians have to offer (blame this on my computer and exams...) but if there was a funny enough show I surely would've heard someone say something. But as of yet, the only TV people seem to talk about these days are such shows as The OC, Lost and Desperate Housewives. Not to mention the multitude of reality shows out there. Some of which, I admit, are good viewing (I have a soft spot for Survivor...my secret shame...) but then there's the filth that pollutes our airways. *cough* Big Brother *cough*. A show that's no better than peering into your neighbour's bedroom with binoculars. Why people are willing to humiliate themselves such for 15 minutes of fame and some money is beyond this blogger's understanding.

Why do we need a good new comedy you ask? Well, we don't need a good new comedy, but it would be more than welcome I say. Just like we didn't really need The OC when most of the kids these days probably didn't watch similar dramas like Melrose Place and Beverly Hills 91210. In this blogger's opinion, comedy is a legacy of the times. You don't see that many repeats of old drama shows during prime time do you? No, you watch the old comedies. Let's hope that a good show comes on soon. Or, if there's nothing promising, bring back some of the old stuff I say. I wouldn't mind repeats of Full Frontal or Monty Python's the Flying Circus. Fingers crossed.

3 Comments:

  • I wouldn't say that new Simpsons episodes aren't funny; rather they rely on a different type of humour than classic Simpsons. Old Simpsons used a lot of wit and satire, where new jokes are often picked up after several viewings; whereas today's episodes seem to rely more on slapstick humour.

    This 'dumbing down' is also seen in other shows such as Comedy Inc, SkitHouse, and Let Loose Live.

    But there is still hope, a last bastion of good television still exists in the form of the ABC and SBS. Good comedy? Look no further than Black Books, The Office (British version, not sure how the American one will turn out), South Park, Dead Ringers, The Kumars, The Glass House, Bronski & Bernstein, and the politically incorrect Fat Pizza.

    But yes, let's hope that mainstream television will pick up it's act, or at least show some Monty Python repeats. Although I can't see this happening for quite a while.

    Counter-ranted by Blogger Jimmy at Tuesday, June 14, 2005 1:30:00 pm  

  • Oookay this has absolutely NOTHING to do with your lastest postage, but excuse me Wayland - since when did you start posting again??? lol I thought you completely vanished off the face of internet world, or blog world at least. Anyway, looking forward to reading more about your life as a .. you? =)

    Oh hey and by the way, whatever happened to Quotemania? I only got the chance to get ONE POINT, Wayland. ONE! Oh, the injustice!! bring it back, I say. Or if not, just give me twenty points for this comment and realising that you are, in fact, still alive. So then I can WIN. *laughs in a competetively evil manner*

    mwaAHAaahahaaa...

    Sandra

    ps: Monty Python ROCKS. and Fawlty Towers is my LOVE.

    Counter-ranted by Anonymous Anonymous at Wednesday, June 15, 2005 9:37:00 am  

  • Watch 'little britain'. its on at 8.15pm ABC. Straight after Dr Who. Its only short, like 15 mins because the longer version of the show was cut for some reason :(:(:(:( but i think its hilarious. I also have a twisted sense of humour. So there you go.

    Counter-ranted by Blogger Unknown at Friday, June 17, 2005 9:23:00 am  

Counter-rant

<< Home